Quote



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while...you could miss it."

-Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off







Sunday, August 8, 2010

Mildred

Mildred Montag, or Millie as Guy often referred to her as, is Guy's wife. I did not like Millie at all. Just because, she was not a real person to me. Sure she functioned as a person, but she was practically lifeless. Her entire life was focused on her three giant wall television screens. She was BORED when Guy was reading passages to her from the novels he had secretly kept. I mean, seriously? How could she be bored. Oh yeah, that's right. It was interrupting her daily t.v. schedule and it was illegal. I can understand the illegal part, but who cares about the television? I rarely watch t.v., and I manage to survive each day. If given the option, I would much rather read an entertaining book rather than watch t.v. By the sound of the shows she was watching, they all sounded pretty stupid and pointless to me. She did not want adventure or excitement. All the adventure and excitement she got, she got from her three television wall screens.

I mentioned similarities in Fahrenheit 451 to Brave New World and one was that of Millie and Linda. Millie seems to always want to not work, and takes pills for everything. The main one Bradbury describes is the sleeping pill. Linda takes to much soma to feel good, and does not want to have to work either. Reading about Millie and how self centered she had become made me irritated. Just because she should get out and DO something rather than sit and complain about how she does not have a fourth t.v. screen. However, she is a good example of how people in our society are becoming. I am not necessarily saying anyone in particular, just as a whole. We as a whole are a lot more technological inclined. Just take a look at this class for example. We're paperless, and email our essays online. Everything is done with technology. People have come to rely on it always being there and when it is not, they do not know what to do with themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment