Quote



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while...you could miss it."

-Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off







Sunday, August 8, 2010

Beatty

Beatty or bee-atty like I liked to call him was a difficult character to interpret. When I first started reading Fahrenheit 451, he seemed like an okay guy. However, as the book progressed, I began to dislike him more and more. He seemed to have some sort of grudge or "unfinished business" against Guy. Either that, or he was jealous of Guy for some reason. However, my mom and I were discussing Beatty and we both agreed that there was something up with Beatty. Because, he could quote a lot of books. During Beatty and Guy's discussion at the firehouse, Beatty just starts quoting off many different people from books. Therefore, I believe that Beatty was also secretly reading himself, and did not tell anyone. Another thing I picked up on was his death, that Guy also noticed. And it was because of Guy talking to himself that I noticed this. But, right before Beatty died, Guy told him to be quiet and he would not shoot him with the flamethrower. However, Beatty just kept talking and ranting and provoking Guy. So, I get the impression that maybe Beatty wanted to die for some odd reason. Maybe he had a guilty conscience and wanted someone else to share in that guilty conscience. But why he would pick Guy I am not entirely sure, since Guy had a guilty conscience as it was. However, I think Beatty had his own secret library as Ray Bradbury included in his afterword. I still believe Beatty was a jerk, as he gave the Hound Guy's scent to mess with him and make him feel threatened. He was a bully and truly believed in knowledge is power. Because, Beatty knew a lot, and that in turn made him superior to everyone because they did not know as much as him. Ultimately, it resulted in his death, which is unfortunate for him, but I think he was asking for it to be quite honest, as bad as that sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment