Quote



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while...you could miss it."

-Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off







Sunday, August 8, 2010

Clarisse

As I said earlier, Clarisse was probably my favorite character in the novel Fahrenheit 451. Just because, she was the one who started Guy thinking, and she was not self centered whatsoever. Beatty later goes on to talk about her and she was never thinking of herself. Instead, she was thinking of how and why things occured, and the causes for them. She skipped school because it bored her and she disliked being taught by computers and t.v. screens all day. She was also very knowledgable for her age, which is another reason I liked her. She told Guy of the "old days" where technology was not everything and people did actually still read and enjoyed gaining the knowledge through books instead of computers.



One thing I disliked about what Ray Bradbury did was he took Clarisse out of the picture. From what I read, he made it sound as if Clarisse got run over by a car and killed. However, I read the afterword and coda written by Ray and he said in the movie they have Clarisse come back and she is in the book group Guy joins after he runs from the Hound. In my opinion, I think Bradbury should have kept Clarisse and together, she and Guy could have then joined forces with Faber and tried to bring the books back. Because Clarisse was a big influence on Guy. He missed talking to her after she abruptly disappeared, and I believe it affected him. He was a lot more down once he stopped talking to her. Just because, she helped him learn new things and actually made him think, which was a concept he had never thought of or tried before. I think it would be interesting to find out where Clarisse learned all her knowledge of the old days and how she had not been caught sooner. Ultimately, I see Bradbury's reasoning in taking Clarisse out of the picture. It gave Guy the chance to be independent and think for his own. Clarisse just helped him get started, and then she had to be removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment