Quote



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while...you could miss it."

-Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off







Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fahrenheit 451: Good Choice for a Title

So Fahrenheit 451 was originally going to be named The Fire Man. However, after revision Ray Bradbury decided on Fahrenheit 451. Books burn at a temperature of 451 degrees fahrenheit...duh. It says so right on the cover of my novel. However, the title just sounds a lot more menacing and important as opposed to The Fire Man. I finally found this title fitting as opposed to the other two novels, which I did not agree with their titles. For once, Ray Bradbury got it right. However, he has always been good at picking catching titles. This title was fitting more for its literal sense than anything. I saw the cover and read the title and already knew, ok, this book is about books being burned. But when I read the other two titles, I thought Grapes of Wrath was going to be about a family that works in a vineyard and Old Man and the Sea was appropriate, but should have been titled Old Man and the Marlin. However, aside from that, Fahrenheit 451 was actually a complex book apart from its basic story line. Mixed in with the story line was a large amount of symbolism and ideas that made the reader think. I was not quite expecting that when I read the title. I expected symbolism because Ray Bradbury is full of it in his novels. I just was not expecting to still be thinking about the novel after I finished reading it. The novel certainly brings up good topics for discussion, especially since it was written and published in the 1950's, when most of the technology was still in the developing stages. That, I was not expecting as much when I started the novel. The title certainly did have a lot to do with me picking the book. Just because, it sounded a lot more exciting as opposed to the other novels we had to choose from. Plus the fact that it was written by Ray Bradbury also helped. I tend to not only choose a book by its cover, but by its title as well. Fahrenheit 451 seemed a lot more exciting as oppoesed to My Antonia or Their Eyes Were Watching God.

No comments:

Post a Comment