Quote



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while...you could miss it."

-Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off







Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fahrenheit 451: Finished!

Well, I finally finished reading Fahrenheit 451, and I was pleasantly surprised. I actually enjoyed this novel. It moved along quite well, but raised some interesting topics for discussion. Once again, I like Ray Bradbury's unique writing style, as it allowed me to "feel" the emotions Ray Bradbury was trying to convey. It was certainly not a dull novel to read. Although not my favorite Bradbury novel, (Something Wicked This Way Comes still is) I did enjoy reading it a lot more than The Grapes of Wrath or The Old Man and the Sea.

I think the most interesting concept in the novel was the actual plot. Bradbury uses an interesting concept of book burning as his basis on which to write the novel. When I first started reading it, I had certain ideas of what was going to happen, but I was actually not all that accurate. I figured Guy would get a whole fireman rebellion going, and eventually turn his whole city back to the idea of books and learning through books again. Instead he sorta just gets chased by the Hound and ends up with this group who is just like him and want to keep books around. I did find it ironic, but the major point of the story, in that Guy first loved seeing books burn, but after talking to Clarisse, he begins to question himself and his ideas and values and eventually turns away from the whole book burning idea. I would have to say Clarisse was probably my favorite character just because she was "normal" to me in her ways of thinking. She was one I could relate to the most as opposed to the other characters who were all used to their futuristic way of life. I do not really understand why Bradbury had her disappear, but I will get into that in another blog entry.

So, I did enjoy Fahrenheit 451 despite its grim topic. I am certainly glad it is not being censored by our school, as many passages in this novel are censored by schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment