Quote



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while...you could miss it."

-Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off







Sunday, August 8, 2010

Guy Montag

Guy Montag is the main character in Fahrenheit 451. When first reading the novel, I was like, "why name the main character Guy?" However, upon reading further, I realized it was just another one of Ray Bradbury's many symbols throughout the novel. Just from the name, I assumed he must not be all that secure and does not really feel all that safe about who he really is as a person. I do not blame him, as his beliefs and values are shaken up quite a bit through the novel.

Guy meets Clarisse near the beginning of the novel, and as she is telling him of days when firemen actually put out fires instead of started them and that books were actually allowed, he begins to question himself. Then he arrives home and sees his wife passed out from a drug overdose, and he realizes Clarisse is pretty much the only one who can help him. But when she disappears, everything seems to go downhill for Guy. He lost his wife to technology and Clarisse to who knows what. He's pretty much all alone with himself. However, he does not know what he is going to do either, because he wants to read and gain knowledge, but at the same time he is concerned about the Hound, which is growling and threatening him, making him feel more scared and guilty. So throughout the novel Guy is constantly being pulled in different directions within himself.

I did feel bad for Guy by the end of the novel. Because at that point, he had lost everything. His house, all his friends, most of his books, and his job. Plus, he was being chased by a crazy smart mechanical Hound and the police, and was a wanted man. I found that sad, because all he wanted to do was read and gain knowledge. But, in that society it was banned, so I did feel bad for Guy. Although he did ask for it by burning his fire chief to the crisp and running away from the scene of a crime; not that I blame him. Because to be honest, if I was in his situation, I would run to. However, I do not find myself getting in that situation any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment