Quote



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while...you could miss it."

-Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off







Monday, April 18, 2011

Journal 43: Jazz Baby

Being a saxophone player, I am a big fan of jazz. Plus, I am one of the few people in this school that I know of that actually listen to jazz music voluntarily. Like most songs, this one tells a story. Being the awesome music analyst I am, I tried to figure out what was going on in the story at a particular part of the song. What I got from it was that this particular jazz song told a pretty typical story. Girl meets boy but boy does not know girl exists, so the girl keeps trying to get the boy's attention until finally he realizes that this girl is the one for him and they live happily ever after, after a brief run in with the boy's ex girlfriend. That is just my interpretation from this song and what I thought while listening to it. Ms. McGovern, our band director, makes us analyze songs as well to figure out the story behind the song. Most songwriters at that time did not write a song just to write it. They usually had a reason for writing the song. Maybe the composer of this song was feeling lovesick, so he or she wrote the song to tell a story of love that actually works out. A lot of relationships do not exactly work out like that, but the song gives the listener somewhere to escape to. Because I was able to escape into this song when I listened to it. It helped that it was ten minutes long, too. I could take time to relax and analyze, which is something I find you cannot really do with the music today. That is one of the reasons I like jazz so much. It allows me to relax, and yeah, it makes me think, but in a good way I think. Most music today has the same reoccurring themes of money and fame while back then it was just about whatever. The music was extremely care free in my opinion, which I like a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment