Quote



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while...you could miss it."

-Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off







Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Journal 41: "A Poor Torn Heart, A Tattered Heart"

A poor torn heart, a tattered heart,
That sat it down to rest,
Nor noticed that the ebbing day
Flowed silver to the west,
Nor noticed night did soft descend
Nor constellation burn,
Intent upon the vision
Of latitudes unknown.

The angles, happening that way,
This dusty heart espied;
Tenderly took it up from toil
And carried it to God.
There, -sandals for the barefoot;
There, -gathered from the gales,
Do the blue havens by the hand
Lead the wandering sails.

Emily Dickinson is talking about her love and the fact that she has lost her long lost love. At least, that is what I think. because, she is talking about heaven and God, and the fact that her heart is lost, for whatever reason.

I find it kind of ironic and coincidental that I picked this poem, because I just got out of a relationship, and it did feel like Emily is talking about at first. I mean, now I am mostly over it, so I do not have that sort of feeling anymore, which I think is a good thing. Emily is talking about the blue havens and the wandering sails, so I am thinking that she is talking spiritually and also about love, which were two of her more common themes in writing. However, even though her heart was broken, for whatever reason, it is treated gently and carefully and brought up to heaven. I guess the question I am wondering is who broke her heart exactly, and why is it going up to heaven. I mean, she should just get over it and move on eventually. Although that sounds harsh, I do not know who the person was, so I do not know their relationship and how intense it might have been that would cause her heart to break. So, I think that in order to totally figure out this poem, I would need to know who broke the woman's heart and why it was being sent up to heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment